PLA’s violent conduct has shaken things again.The tensions over the border dispute between China and India is not settling down. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has given a strongly worded statement; that repeatedly named China for violating all border agreements with India. He spoke in Lok Sabha on Tuesday. And highlighted that India was fully prepared to deal with any situation and; that the morale of Indian troops deployed at heights of 15,000 feet remained high despite; several face-offs with PLA units in eastern Ladakh.
He spoke for nearly 25 minutes in the Modi’s government’s first statement on the; military tensions along the LAC in Parliament. Highlighting that China had consistently refused to accept customary; and traditional boundaries, and had previously grabbed 38,000 sq km in Ladakh, claimed 90,000 sq km in Arunachal Pradesh; and was also ceded land illegally in PoK by Pakistan.
He blamed China for continuously attempting to unilaterally alter the status quo and; mentioned out that India wanted to peacefully resolve the ongoing military confrontation; it was fully prepared to deal with any situation that comes up. He said India had counter-mobilised saying that; “As of now, the Chinese side has mobilised a large number of troops and armaments along; the LAC as well as in the depth areas.”
He also spoke that the most recent August 29-30 action, a fresh move by Chinese troops to change the status quo on the south bank of Pangong Tso had been resolutely countered. This reference was highlighting the Indian Army’s success in taking control of key heights; on the south bank that has more than neutralised that advantage the PLA held after; it had surprised India by occupying the Finger 4-8 ridgeline.
He also said Col Santosh Babu and 19 other soldiers had gallantly laid down their lives after the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) “created the violent face-off” in Galwan Valley on 15th June in violation of all agreements and understandings. But Indian troops also inflicted heavy costs, including casualties, on the Chinese side.
The PLA is once again engaged in “provocative military manoeuvres”; in an attempt to change the status quo on the south bank of Pangong Tso on August 29-30. He added, “But yet again, timely and firm actions by our armed forces along; the LAC prevented such attempts from succeeding.”
He continued “The conduct of our armed forces throughout these incidents shows that; while they maintained ‘sayyam’ in the face of provocative actions; they also have equally displayed ‘shaurya’ when; required to protect the territorial integrity of India.” The two countries had agreed to maintain peace; and tranquillity along the border by a minimal deployment of forces and strictly respecting the LAC; through both the 1993 and 1996 agreements and other protocols; till the complex boundary question was settled fair and mutually acceptable manner.
Singh added, “India’s position is that while bilateral relations can continue; to develop in parallel with discussions on resolving the boundary questions; any serious disturbance in peace and tranquillity along the LAC in the; border areas is bound to have implications for the positive directions of our ties.”
On the same day i.e. Tuesday Congress MP Rahul Gandhi tweeted that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has misled the country on China’s “encroachment” in Ladakh. This tweet came in after Rajnath Singh spoke in the parliament asserting; that the South Asian country is not recognizing the current boundary. Mr. Gandhi wrote in his post “Don’t be afraid of taking China’s name.”
He added “It is clear from the Defence Minister’s statement that Modi ji has misled the country on China’s encroachment. Our country has always railed behind the Indian Army and it will do so in the future. But Modi Ji, when will you stand up to China? When will you take our land back? Don’t be afraid of taking China’s name.”
The Congress leader has continuously attacked PM Modi over handling; of the stand-off with China, which has transgressed along the LAC – the defector border.