Surface Duo is a dual-screen Android phone from Microsoft which will come into the shops on September 10, 2020, for $1,399. If this gets you intrigued, then keep on reading to get your hands on all the minute details.
This hyped phone has been in the news for a few months now and Microsoft finally allowed people to pre-order the Surface Duo in the United States. You can pre-order yours on AT&T, Microsoft’s online store, and Best Buy. Microsoft Chief Product Officer Panos Panay said, “We wanted people to help things done. We had a vision for how we could take the best elements of the tablet and the laptop and create something entirely new.”
— WalkingCat (@h0x0d) February 26, 2020
The highlights of Surface Duo
The phone will up your productivity so if you can multitask, you have an outlet right here. In addition, it provides the utmost flexibility to do more with multiple modes. You get the best of both worlds. You get the best of Microsoft not on your PC, but in a phone and you get all Android apps. So, it is a PC cum phone. Its design is created by Surface. The hinge of the phones opens up to 360 degrees and the phone offers two screens. The phone is easily foldable where you can fold one screen back and make phone calls.
You can enjoy the view with dual-screen enhanced apps, where you can type on one and view on the other. You can also listen to your music or connect with others via Surface earbuds.
The phone also serves the aspects of writing and sketching on screens, so it also serves as an iPad cum phone. The keyboard is vertical as well, which is optimized for every mode.
Technical Specifications of Surface Duo.
Moving on to the technical specifications as per Microsoft, they are:
- Dimensions: Open– 145.2 mm (H) x 186.9 mm (W) x 4.8 mm (T). Closed– 145.2 mm (H) x 93.3 mm (W) x 9.9 mm (T at hinge)
- Weight– 250 grams
- Battery Life: Up to 15.5 hours of Local Video playback. Up to 10 days of Standby Time. Up to 27 hours of Talk Tim.
- Battery Capacity: 3577mAh (typical) dual battery
- Camera and Video recording: Photos– Auto mode with low-light &HDR multi-frame photo capture and dynamic range scene detection. Video recording– HEVC and H.264 video recording formats and Gyro-based digital video stabilization.
- SIM: One eSIM and one Nano-SIM. (AT&T locked device will not support eSIM)
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform optimized for the dual-screen experience.
- Storage and memory: 128GB or 256GB UFS 3.0 of internal storage, and 6GB DRAM.
- Software: Microsoft built-in applications, Microsoft Surface Duo UI core features, Operating System is Android 10.
- Sensors: Sensors include Dual Accelerometer, Daul Gyroscope, Dual Magnetometer, Dual Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Hall Sensor, and Fingerprint Sensor.
- Security and Authentication: Biometric lock type– Fingerprint Reader (1:100K FAR<3% FRR). Lock type is through swipe, PIN, and password.
- Language Support: There is support for all languages.
- What’s in the box: Surface Duo, Surface Duo Bumper (Color: Glacier), Surface Duo USB-C, Quickstart Guide, Warranty and Compliance Guide, and SIM Ejector Tool.
You can watch Dave Lee’s official review in this video:
What is the store’s promise for you?
If you purchase Microsoft Surface Duo, the Microsoft Store promises you with a 60-day return policy, 90 days of free technical phone support, and free virtual workshops and training.
A forewarning is also issued which says that the phone contains magnets, which may damage objects like cards, passbooks, access cards, etc. Hence, you need to maintain a safe distance between the device and the objects. Microsoft wants the phone to be an entirely new device. This experimental device will show how dual screens improve our productivity and if they are really needed.