On Friday, Buckingham Palace said that Prince Harry and his American wife Meghan have permanently quit royal duties, just over a year after they rocked the British monarchy by announcing plans to “step back” from their roles.
Queen Elizabeth II ordered the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as they are formally known, to relinquish their honorary titles and patronage following the confirmation that they would not be returning as working royals.
The couple relocated to the United States last year, in a move dubbed “Megxit” by the British press, and have since embarked on several commercial ventures there including lucrative tie-ups with the streaming platforms Netflix and Spotify.
At an emergency January 2020 summit with the queen, Harry’s father Prince Charles and brother Prince William, Harry agreed they would stop using their “Royal Highness” titles, and the “Sussex Royal” brand.
But the senior family members pledged to review the situation a year on with the move now made permanent, days after Harry and Meghan announced on Valentine’s Day they are expecting their second child.
Buckingham Palace announced, “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family. The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.”
It noted their honorary appointments and patronages would be redistributed among the remaining working royals.
However, it appears the pair will retain their official titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and Harry remains sixth in line to the throne, with no changes in the line of succession.
The decision means Harry, 36, who served as a soldier in Afghanistan and is passionate about veterans’ welfare, must relinquish several honorary military titles related to the Royal Marines, air force, and navy. Earlier this month he formally settled a libel claim against the publisher of The Mail on Sunday and MailOnline website over reports he had snubbed soldiers since stepping back from royal life.
A spokesperson for the couple said on Friday had shown that they “remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world.”
The statement noted they had offered their continued support to the organisations they had represented “regardless of official role.”
“We can all live a life of service. Service is universal,” it added.