Sequans Communications S.A. announced that its second-generation LTE Cat 1 chip platform, Calliope 2, will be unveiled at CES 2021. Designed to be cost-effective support of IoT applications, it enables VoLTE and a data rate transfer higher than 100 kilobits per second that cannot be supported by LTE-M or NB-IoT technologies.
Sequans Calliope 2 technology has enabled the widespread deployment of Cat 1 for IoT. These include:
- Higher integration that has lowered the Cat 1 module cost closer to the level of LTE-M module cost closer to the level of LTE-M module cost.
- Significantly improved power consumption, in both active and low power modes, lowering the power profile close to the LTE-M power profile, and thereby extending the battery life of Cat 1 IoT devices.
The soon launched technology is 5G-ready, and its user application software and interfaces are compatible with Sequans Monarch 2 LTE-M/NB-IoT platform.
Calliope 2 Feature Highlights:
- 3GPP Release 15
- Up to 10 Mbps DL, and 5 Mbps UL
- Interface includes USB 2.0, 4xHS-UART, SPI, PCM/12S
- Advanced low power features eDRX and PSM with rock bottom
- Comprehensive VoLTE voice engine including HD-quality Voice (EVS)
- Baseband, RF, power management, and memory integrated into one chip platform.
- Compatible with Sequans Monarch 2 LTE-M/NB-IoT platform for easy migration among Cat 1, Cat M, Cat NB1/NB2
- EAL5+ security for iSIM
- Streaming audio
Sequans pioneered Cat 1 technology for IoT and has always recognized its value. We are the only cellular IoT chipmaker; with a strategic product roadmap for Cat 1, and we have designed our Calliope 2 platform to be scalable; and in sync with the sunsetting of 2G and 3G networks, thereby answering a key industry demand at just the right time. There are real and valuable opportunities in Cat 1 for IoT, complementing LTE-M/NB-IoT; and Calliope 2 is the ideal starting point.