Apple has recently pushed a new update of its iPadOS14 after the iPadOS 14.1 updates. And this update is significant because of the addition of many new functionalities as well as fixes. It is currently rolled out to all iPad owners. iPadOS 14.2 includes the following improvements for iPad users:
- Introduction of over 100 new emoji, including animals, food, faces, household objects, musical instruments, gender-inclusive emoji, and many more.
- Introduction of eight new wallpapers in both light and dark mode versions.
- A magnifier that can detect people nearby. And also report their distance using the LiDAR sensor and which is included in iPad Pro 12.9-inch and iPad Pro 11-inch.
- Introduction of scene Detection in Camera uses intelligent image recognition to identify objects within a scene and automatically improves the photo on iPad Air (4th generation)
- Auto FPS in the camera automatically reduces the frame rate when recording video. This is to improve low-light capture and to optimize file size on iPad Air (4th generation)
- Optimized battery charging for AirPods. This is to slow the rate of battery aging by reducing the time your AirPods spends fully charged
- New AirPlay controls to stream entertainment throughout one’s home
- Intercom support with HomePod and HomePod mini using iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods and CarPlay
- Ability to connect HomePod to Apple TV 4K for stereo. Also for surround sound, and Dolby Atmos audio
Issue Fixes In The iPadOS 14.2 Update
The Release also fixes the below issues:
- Camera viewfinder may appear black when launched
- The keyboard on the Lock Screen could miss touches when trying to enter the passcode
- Reminders could default to times in the past
- Photos widget may not display content
- Weather widget could display the high temperature in Celsius when set to Fahrenheit
- Voice Memos recordings interruption by incoming calls
- The screen could go black during Netflix video playback
This update brings new emojis, wallpapers, improvements to cameras for iPad 4th Gen as well as two important functionalities: Intercom support as well as stereo. Stereo is surround sound and Dolby Atmos audio support to HomePod when connected to Apple TV 4K and new AirPlay controls for streaming all throughout your home.
During the launch of the HomePod mini, there was a promise of this feature. And already iOS got the functionality and now it is on iPads as well. Apart from new features, Apple also has done some fixes that will be useful in daily usage. Overall, this is indeed a big update. It is already in India and should eventually be arriving in other countries as well.